Thursday, December 11, 2014

Five apps to open email attachments on mobile devices (TechRepublic)

By December 3, 2014




Adobe Reader
In my opinion, Adobe Reader is the single most important app for opening email attachments. The vast majority of the important attachments I receive are in PDF format. These documents range from publishing contracts to travel reservations.

Microsoft Office Mobile

Of course, the mobile version of Microsoft Office is not as full featured as the desktop version. Even so, it does a good job of allowing you to open, edit, and in some cases even compose Office documents on the go. I routinely use the mobile version of Word on my Windows Phone to view and respond to editors' comments. I also sometimes use the mobile version of PowerPoint to review presentations while on a plane on my way to deliver a speech.

WinZip

Another essential app for opening email attachments is WinZip. WinZip has been around forever, starting life as a utility for opening ZIP files on Windows-based PCs.

DocuSign

DocuSign might not be quite as well known as the other apps I have discussed, but it is rapidly gaining popularity. DocuSign is an app for signing electronic documents. For example, one of the publishers I work with just required me to sign a publishing contract using DocuSign, and I recently signed a vendor's service contract by using DocuSign.

GoToMeeting

Hardly a week goes by without someone sending me an online meeting request based on GoToMeeting. The email message usually contains a link to a meeting rather than an attachment. However, if you try to use the link without first installing GoToMeeting, you will usually see a message prompting you to install the GoToMeeting software.

No comments:

Post a Comment