Thursday, May 19, 2016

Five apps for staying entertained on long flights

hero

1: VLC Media Player

Figure A
First, it will play almost any video format. I have been able to play files on VLC Media Player that I wasn't able to play using anything else. Second, VLC Media Player can correct aspect ratio problems on the fly. I have occasionally downloaded videos that were filmed in 16:9 and then saved in a 4:3 aspect ratio. VLC can convert these videos back to 16:9 while the video is playing. Finally, VLC can fix a variety of really weird video problems. For example, one of my GoPro cameras was once set up incorrectly and filmed a video upside down. VLC Media Player allowed me to watch the video right side up.

2: Fairway Solitaire
Figure B
Fairway Solitaire (Figure B) is, as the name implies, a golf-themed solitaire game. I have to confess that I am not a gamer. Even though I used to write about console gaming for one of the gaming sites, I have never been good at video games and really don't have much interest in them. Even so, I really like Fairway Solitaire. The game is loosely based around the story of an evil gopher who wants to get revenge on the golfers. Gameplay is simple, but many of the levels are deceptively difficult. For whatever reason, I find this game to be completely addictive... and I'm not even a golfer. I have spent many flights trying to beat the gopher.

3: Smarter Battery

Figure C
Smarter Battery (Figure C) isn't exactly an entertainment app. But let's face it: When your battery dies on a long flight, the entertainment stops. Sure, some planes have in-seat chargers, and there are also charging packs you can use on your devices. However, neither of these options seem to be available when I need a charge. This is where Smarter Battery comes into play. It helps you keep an eye on power consumption and can put your device into a low power, "green mode" when you really need to stretch a charge.

4: Free YouTube Downloader
Figure D
Free YouTube Downloader (Figure D) is exactly what the name suggests. It's a free tool for downloading YouTube videos for offline viewing. Free YouTube Downloader isn't as feature rich as some of the other video downloader apps, but it's free and it works. I have spent many flight hours watching YouTube videos thanks to this app and a few other downloaders I use from time to time.

5: Kindle

Figure E

Kindle (Figure E) is so well known, I considered omitting it from this article. Even so, it is one of the best ebook readers on the market. Three things make Kindle so great for use while traveling. First, it's tied into a huge content library. Second, it lets you import PDF files for reading. Finally, it doesn't require constant internet connectivity, as some other readers do. Kindle requires internet connectivity to download a book, but books can be read while offline.

No comments:

Post a Comment